Sunday, April 25, 2010

Surprise! "Happy Last Day Party"

The last week of my student teaching, the kids were going in and out of the classroom at really random times. I had heard Mrs. Pickens & Mrs. King talking to one another about finishing the students' Star Test. The Star Test is an assessment that records reading comprehension and reading levels. Mrs. King would leave the class with a few students and then they would come back and another group would leave and so on. I really didn't think too much about.
Then, on my last day of student teaching, April 16th, I had been asked to go into another classroom to teach while that teacher went to take care of some things in the office. Once that teacher was finished with the office ordeal, she came to me and asked me to go with her up the hall. When we reached the hall with floor to ceiling windows, I saw bright colored umbrellas covering each picnic table and all my students eagerly waiting on my arrival....they had thrown me a surprise party!!!
I was so surprised!!!!! When I walked out to where they were, they all started singing, "Happy Last Day to you, Happy Last Day to you, Happy Last Day Mrs. Breedlove, Happy Last Day to you!" (Of course to the tune of Happy Birthday). Honestly, I cannot believe that all my students knew of this surprise party and had known for about two weeks and not one of them told me about it. I don't know what they were threatened with, but Mrs. Pickens and Mrs. King was able to keep 18 2nd graders quiet!!!
We had cupcakes, ice cream, and chips. They even had a gift for me! Come to find out, Mrs. King was not really doing the Star Test, she was taking students out, a group at a time, to make a book for me. Each student wrote about a memory they have of me teaching them throughout this school year, they drew me a picture, and on their page, was a picture of that student. Mrs. King put it together and made a book. It is precious. My favorite memory was from one student that said, "I am so glad you taught me how to do math, know I know everything." (Imagine this in 2nd grade handwriting and a few words misspelled...it is PRECIOUS!)
Also, the kids brought in money all week to buy me something too! They handed me a beautifully wrapped gift. It was the most awesome picture frame ever. The words around the picture are "These are a few of my favorite things." and it had a picture of me with my students.

The Surprise Happy Last Day Party was so special to me and to make it even more special than it already was, they had invited Brandon to join in on the fun. It was great!

I am so thankful for Mrs. Pickens and Mrs. King for their investment in me. I am also thankful for all eighteen of my children. I love each one!

P.S. The frame is from our very own Dalton's Christian Bookstore. The brand is Glory Haus, check out all the fun stuff they have at their website http://www.gloryhaus.com/Scripts/PublicSite/ and click on store.


2 comments:

  1. I am seriously loving all the new posts. What a neat idea, I'm so glad they made a big deal out of your last day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sweet. A sap that I am, I teared up while reading this post. Children are so giving, loving, their emotions are so honest. You, Mrs. Breedlove, have impacted their lives. :)

    ReplyDelete