Thursday, August 27, 2009

What Do I Know of Holy?...by Addison Road

I can't remember the first time that I heard this song, but it has been fairly recently.
I do, however, remember thinking that it was written with me in mind.

So many times I try to play "Lets Make A Deal" with God. I will attempt to sucker Him into contracts or agreements that only benefit my current life situation. "God, I'll never get myself into this again, if You will get me out." I made You promises a thousand times.

Then there are times when I finally come to the Lord about specific concerns and burdens, I give Him my suggestions, my solutions, and my thoughts on the matter. I know that by taking these things to King Jesus enables Him to work in and through the situation, but I realize that I try to hear from Heaven, but I talk the whole time.

Obviously, since I am trying to Make a Deal and since I offer my human suggestions, I think I have made You too small. If I think He needs me to help Him, I really do not believe He is the God of the Universe, the Creator and Lord I claim Him to be with my mouth. Apparently I do not claim Him as those same things in my heart.

And if I have convinced myself that He needs me, then I cannot see Him as a God who is worthy to be feared. I never feared You at all.

If You touched my face, would I know You? Am I so comsumed with my busy life at Western. as a Studen Intern, as a Pastor's Wife, as a Ticket Booth Girl, as Drama Director, as a daughter, sister, aunt, and friend, that I would not even recognize a touch from my Creator?

With all the things that consume my life, is Jesus one of them? If He looked into my eyes, could I behold You?

I made You promises a thousand times
I tried to hear from Heaven
But I talked the whole time
I think I made You too small
I never feared You at all
If You touched my face would I know You?
Looked into my eyes could I behold You?

(CHORUS)
What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know?
What do I know of Holy?

I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees


Because I grew up in a Christian home with parents who Worship and Served the Lord all my
childhood, I guess I thought that I had figured You out. I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about how you were mighty to save. So many times people "play church". Even I get caught up in "talking church" and saying and doing all the right things. I am reminded of a specific song that I hear on the radio and sing along with. "Mighty To Save". Here are a few lyrics of the song: "Saviour, He can move the mountains, My God is Mighty to save, He is Mighty to save. Forever, Author of salvation, He rose and conquered the grave, Jesus conquered the grave." There are many times that I sing along to this song with the same enthusiasm that I have when I'm singing along to one of the tunes by Rascal Flatts.

If I didn't claim these words in my heart, then they would be only empty words on a page.

But then.........oh, but then....
Brandon and I caught a glimpse of who You might be. We watched God provide for us when we could not provide for ourselves. We were reminded that He is faithful regardless to our life situations. He is larger, He is God. Throughout the last two years of our lives we have been humbled by His mercies, His faithfulness, His forgiveness, His love. We have been in sitations and circumstances when the slightest glimpse of You brought me (us)down to my (our) knees.

2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful, Nancy... and so encouraging! Thank you for sharing. I find myself nodding in agreement, feeling the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok... you really need to write books... if not cards... you are great!!! i'm so blessed to know you and please know that you will always hold the label of "my true best friend"
    I love you always...
    Julie

    ReplyDelete