Friday, August 27, 2010

Be Anxious For Nothing...

...but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. -Philippians 4:6

**This blog has potential to be ridiculously long, but it will be necessary**
I wanted to blog about this so that when Brandon & I look back into the pages of our lives, the faithfulness of Jesus will never be debated.

Honestly, I don't really know where to begin as I sit here trying to blog about all that has taken or has not taken place within the last few months. Brandon and I entered into a specific season of our lives a few months ago, a season that required patience, perseverance, & trust, a season that would stick around long enough to challenge all we had to offer - The Season of Waiting.

More and more I realize that I am no where near the patient person as I would like to think I am. In fact, I possess very little patience at all. This fact is extremely frustrating to me as my dad is probably the most patient & laid back person on earth. All through my childhood I watched him demonstrate his patience with all four of us kids. He taught us how to ride a bicycle, catch a softball (with the glove up :)), any math homework, drive a car, etc. The man is patient, but I lack the gene. However, I am learning that possessing patience really isn't a matter of genetics, but instead patience is learned and oh, how I am trying to learn it.

In March of this year, I posted Decisions, Decisions. Brandon & I could easily look ahead and see that decisions would have to be made in a few areas of our lives. One specific decision, the most identifiable, was what job would I have when the summer was over. At the time of this specific post, my graduation from WCU was two months away. I would have my degree in Elementary Education and my North Carolina Teaching License. I would have everything I needed to teach in North Carolina Public Schools. The decision was this, would I go out of my way to get a teaching position or would I stay at the theatre and continue working there for a while. A lot of people would never understand the way my heart was truly torn between the two places. Yes, I loved being in a classroom, but I also loved being at the theatre. By no means do I hope to down-play all that went into this decision I knew I would have to make. This decision consumed my thoughts and it wasn't until months later that I truly came to the conclusion and answer I needed. I was going to teach.

In April of this year, I posted Change Is Coming. During this time, Brandon came along side of me and together, we sought how the Lord was calling us to serve Him. Together we sought, together we prayed, together we listened, together we waited. This is when we entered the new season of our lives.

In May, I graduated from WCU and a week later, I had an interview for one of five teaching positions that was available for the next school year. I had my interview on May 7 and on May 8th, we headed for the beach. Even as we were on vacation, we had one choice: to wait. At this point although we had fun and exciting plans for the summer, we had also stepped into the new season of our lives.

Ends up, I didn't get one of the positions that were available earlier in the summer. I think one other position opened between that time in May and the middle of August. All summer long, we waited. Last Tuesday, August 24th, the day before school started, I checked the Macon County Schools Website and low and behold, an Elementary Education position had been posted! I applied for the position and have waited and I still wait to hear from the Schools. I know that something must be done pretty quickly as school is in its second week and there is not a teacher for the class, however, for me, every morning I wake up with a hope that "today will be the day" that I hear something, but until then, we wait.

Although my teaching position has most definitely required us to wait, there are other areas of our lives that we seem to be just waiting on as well. We are watching a few aspects of our lives change and we are waiting to see the affects and our response to them.

Regardless to all that our hearts are waiting on, I am confident that when I melt with the overwhelming of the unknown, the exhaustion from waiting, the frustration, impatience, questions, plans of my own, and the brokenness, I know that Jesus is whispering "Be still and know that I am God".

So for now, Brandon & I are doing our best to be still...and wait...so that when we walk out of this specific season of our lives, we do so just as we walked in, hand in hand as we follow Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Nancy, thanks for sharing your heart. I well understand your frustration. I too lack patience and want to know NOW what the next 5-10-20 years are going to hold. Hang in there... I too know that the Lord WILL be faithful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really believe that patience is a virtue and although it may not be a genetic thing, it is most definitely something that must be learned. You are doing a great job. :) I promise that the Lord will always provide and I know that you and Brandon will listen to His calling.
    Praying for you both!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete