Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Mother's Gift - Herself

So much to blog about.... Sarah, I read your blog the other day and I am in the same position. I have so much to blog about, update, etc, but I don't have the time to do it right now. However, I did come along this article.

My mom was a stay-at-home mom with four kids. There are many people that say, "I would never be able to stay at home with my kids, I have to get out"... However, when I think back to our childhood, growing up, with parents that served the Lord & family, I realize that my mom was giving me a gift - a gift I didn't recognize until 2005. I'm certain there were days when she "had to get away", but didn't because there was a greater cause - us. I came home from school every single day to a mom ready to hand out snacks. When I was in high school and was driving myself to school, I would sit at the breakfast bar every morning talking with her, over our chocolate chip cookies. :) Even as I began attending SCC for college, I still found myself sitting in the kitchen with moma. It wasn't until 2005, when she and my dad were called to serve in Gulfport, MS with the North Carolina Baptist Men with Disaster Relief that I recognized the gift that Moma had been giving me all my life. I was 21 years old. I came home from work to an empty house. Moma wasn't there to talk with, vent to, be excited with, nothing. This was the day I realized the gift that moma had invested her life in giving me. Herself.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I desperately want to be that kind of mom... even if my kids don't appreciate it until they're 21 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw I love this Nancy. I hope to be this kind of mom, too. Hope you are well - haven't seen you in awhile! :)

    ReplyDelete