Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Happy Birthday 95th Birthday, Papaw!

I am just now posting this, however, at the time, I didn't feel as though I had enough time to sit down and do this blog post justice with the time I had. I did not want to barely mention Papaw's birthday without the attempt to share his life with those that read. Therefore, I chose to wait until I could sit down and work on it. I didn't realize it would be one month later....

June 28th, we celebrated Papaw's 95th birthday. I left Brandon at VBS (he had to teach) and I went up to Mamaw & Papaw's house. When I got there, my parents and a few other members of our family were there visiting with the Birthday Boy (there is just something about calling someone who has been through all that he has, a 'boy' that does not settle well.)

As I sat in the living room with him, I tried to think of all (at least a lot) of the major events that Papaw has lived through - events that shaped our family and nation. Knowing that throughout his lifetime, he has seen 22 different men take the office of the President of the United States and 16 of them he was able to vote for, I am amazed at exactly how much he has been a part of and how he has watched the events in history change the nation.

He was born in Franklin in 1915 to Jerry & Hettie Holland, farmers and gardeners and "folks that took care of what they had". World War 1 had been well underway as it began in 1914, with three years left to go. Woodrow Wilson was President.

Growing up in Franklin, life was slow, but hard. In a world of farming, gardening, and manual labor, there was always something for he and his five other siblings to do around the house. In 1929, life got even harder. The stock market crashed which led the nation and eventually the world into what we know as The Great Depression. Papaw was 14. The nation emerges from the Depression in 1939, but its celebration didn't last long as Hitler invaded Poland, the beginnings of World War 2. Papaw was 24, one year younger than I am now.

In 1942, Papaw was drafted to serve in WW2. He trained in Fort Benning then he was able to come back to Franklin for a 30-day fur low. It was 1943. While he was home, he met a man who invited him over for supper and to "make music" at his house. Papaw went and met Betty Stewman, one of the daughters of the man. I prefer to call her, Mamaw. At the end of the month, Papaw went to New York where he and his fellow soldiers sailed to England, a sail of 21 days.

He was a sharp-shooter. His friend, "Cotton" was the driver of his tank. They were best friends while serving. I'm still trying to find the family of Edgar Cotton, but as of now, I have had little luck. I have heard many stories of their friendship, camaraderie, and mischief. "Cotton" is a familiar name in Papaw's house. Papaw served in Germany from 1942 to 1945, when the war ended.

Papaw & Mamaw got married after the war, moved around to here and there, and settled back into Franklin to begin and raise their family. They have four children: Daddy, Randy, Marianna, & Jesse and their family has only continued to grow. He & Mamaw have 4 children, 12 grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, all because two people fell in love. We are all thankful for the investment that these two have poured into the life of our family. To us, they are our Legecy.

Happy 95th Birthday, Papaw!!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is amazing... he has seen so much and experienced so much! Would love to hear his stories! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete